Making a difference, one patient at a time

By Aramis Hamer ’11

After graduating from Bradley in May 2011, I was very nervous about my career in nursing as a “new graduate.” I struggled to find a job in the high-demand city of Chicago, but I was grateful to gain employment at Advocate Trinity Hospital in its Intensive Care Step Down Unit.

aramis_hamer

Once frustrated with care plans and clinical logs, now I look back and I am beyond grateful for the skills the nursing faculty at Bradley instilled in me. A typical workday for me begins at 6:45 a.m., when I research the background information on my patients, and ends at 7:30 p.m. I only have 2-3 patients because of the high acuity of ailments on my floor.

I have only 15 minutes to find out as much about my clients as possible. In nursing school, called “pre-work,” I could spend an entire evening on this kind of research. Given the short allotment of time, I make an effort to focus on the facts: meds, labs and abnormal vitals.

Bradley nursing faculty always stressed the concept of the “Big Picture” and connecting pathophysiology with assessment findings. That approach couldn’t be more valuable! Every day with every client, I put the Big Picture together and figure out how I can help the patient through the process of collaborating with the physicians, respiratory therapist, patient care technician and even the housekeepers!

I am blessed to be in a career that I am passionate about and that makes me happy every time I am able to provide care. From my experience at Bradley to Advocate Trinity Hospital to the recent discovery of my acceptance into Loyola’s Graduate School of Nursing, I am right on the path that I need to be in order to make my dreams a reality. I aspire to be an adult health nurse practitioner with a cardiovascular subspecialty. From the letters of recommendation and long office-hour visits to the continuous words of encouragement from the Bradley nursing faculty, I am able to make a difference in this world, one patient at a time.